I definately didn't want to make a caricature monkey...and I hope the finished product doesn't appear to be as such. I spent quite a while online researching appropriate costumes but in the end I took my Downton Abbey book to the fabric shop!!!
Armed with two shades of crushed velvet, some co-ordinating satin and lace I spread it all around me while I made the basic monkey.
I made the decision to leave off the arms and ears while I got her dressed to avoid getting threads tangled. Once I had the skirt and blouse on I added the arms and then the overcoat.
Next stop were ears, and then the hair which is added as 1 whole length stitched in loops.
That's a bit wild and woolly for a Lady so a trip to the hairdressers was in order. In addition to a hair cut and style I added her features, earrings and a tiara. And this is the finished monkey!!!
So she will be off to Elizabeth McGovern on Monday morning!!! I hope she likes her custom monkey.